5/02/2011

Songs are worthless, so share them

Title says it all. We need to set aside our attachments to one or two songs in order to discover tens or thousands of others. I thought about it awhile back and figured it may be very vital for those who really involve themselves in the digging culture and understand what it takes to find new music:

Reasons Why Not to Put Worth Into Songs:

DJs who have been DJs their whole life are still looking for old music
--> This means there are billions of songs stil out there and undiscovered
--> This means there are also thousands of "newer" songs untouched that other DJs don't play
--> That means everyone's personal playlists are unique and independent
--> That means everyone has at least a handful of songs that no one has heard of
--> That means trading music should be: "Your best for my best," "Your worst for my worst," "My favorite for your favorite..!!"

Trading 10000 songs wil get you 1000 songs you don't have, 100 really fucking dope songs, and 10 of them become of actual use (in setting up your playlist).

Imagine if every musician decided to keep their own songs to themselves because they didn't want others to be in possession of it. Not only will they never have fans listening to their music, but nobody will know of them because their music was never in circulation to the general public. Music wasn't created to be kept in your ipod all to your lonely self. Hand it off to 2-15 people, I'm sure for a few of them their lives will never be the same after listening to "that one song."

The only reason why I am able to dig the way I do is because the ones who had passed the torch to me made it clear that music is to be shared and appreciated.

-FB

2 comments:

DJSureal said...

Phish, this is so true which is why I laugh when people "DJ AM" their Serato. I leave mine available. If you want to stand behind me and see what I spin, doesn't bother me. I'm from the first family of digging back when this music was unknown and people did hide what they were playing. Bam once said he'd let his records sit in a bathtub filled with water to rub the labels off. Some of the significance of these records is traced back to the breaks he was playing 30 years ago. Everybody wanted to know what he was playing. Nowadays, I go to battles to hear other DJ's selections and to inspire my digging. Just to be sure, the offer stands to come build with Zulu Nation DJ's. Hit me up anytime.
Peace!

Fish Boogie said...

Hah, AM mode is awesome! Don't get me wrong, I always AM mode my shit when I DJ only because I WANT folks asking me for the tracks instead of reading off the title behind my back without getting to know me first! People have to realize that it doesn't hurt to ask the DJ questions about a track or anything out of curiosity (I actually have more fun answering questions about tracks instead of figuring out whether or not people like what I spin lol). I would like to inspire people to dig for "that one song" as if their life depended on it, not by using shortcuts!! :)

Surreal: No doubt brotha, I'll hit you up sometime so we can chop it up and get down!